Breaking News!

The Bayhawk Bearer

The Student News Site of Bellingham High School

The Bayhawk Bearer

The Bayhawk Bearer

American Flag at a Low Angle
Memorial Day 2024
June 3, 2024
Battle of the Bands
Battle of the Bands
June 3, 2024
Mother and Child under a Beautiful Sunset
Mother's Day 2024
May 20, 2024
close up photo of bumble bee on pink petaled flower
World Bee Day
May 20, 2024

International Day of Persons with Disabilities

Jakub Pabis
Photo by Jakub Pabis: https://www.pexels.com/photo/painted-disability-icon-on-pavement-11074335/

Yesterday, December 3, was the International Day of Persons with Disabilities. The celebration of this event began in 1992, with the United Nations General Assembly resolution 47/3.  The resolution was created with the intent to “create a society for all by the year 2010.” Unfortunately, as of 2023, this goal has not yet been achieved.

However, despite the fact that an equal society by 2010 was not realized, the resolution’s other aim of “the continued improvement of the situation of persons with disabilities and the equalization of opportunities for them” is still going strong.

In 2020, the UN held a virtual meeting to discuss the year’s theme of “building back better,” or making the world more inclusive, accessible, and sustainable post-Covid-19. Whatcom county, too, has several organizations dedicated to assisting people with disabilities, including but not limited to the ARC of Whatcom County, the Center for Independence, and the Hearing, Speech & Deaf Center.

The fight to make our society more accessible to all those living it has been littered with victories and setbacks, but hopefully the International Day of Persons with Disabilities will do its part in making the world kinder and more hospitable.