Breaking News!

The Bayhawk Bearer

The Student News Site of Bellingham High School

The Bayhawk Bearer

The Bayhawk Bearer

Local Spring Break Events in Bellingham

Local Spring Break Events in Bellingham

“What are you doing for spring break?”

While I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase far too many times in the past couple of weeks as the Bellingham School District does its final push before a week of relaxation and vacation, burnout still majorly troubles many students with it being “that time of the year.” Whether you’re involved in spring sports, enrolled in APs, or even a senior who’s ready for graduation, spring break is typically seen as a way to alleviate some stress while giving you a taste of summer. So, what are people doing for spring break at Bellingham High School?

As expected, a vast group of students are seizing the opportunity  to travel across the continent to enjoy an early summer, visiting locations like Mexico and Florida, families quickly scatter to get tickets before they raise in last minute prices. Though, as traveling hasn’t been the most convenient thing in the previous years due to rising costs, many students are stuck with no other choice than Bellingham. Despite not sounding as appealing as lounging at a hotel across the country, activities run rampant with the spring season creeping in, whether it’s music events or programs to expand your interests, Bellingham businesses have gone all out.

Across the break, about three author meet-and-greets are being hosted, with one even being held at Bellingham High School. The first author meet and greet is with a mother-daughter duo, PC and Kristin Cast, located at the Barnes & Noble on Meridian, to discuss their young adult fantasy novel, “Draw Down the Moon.” The event takes place on Thursday, April 4th at 6 P.M, which leads into the second occasion. On the same day, Village Books is hosting an event with Rick Steves as he talks about traveling and his love for Europe at Bellingham High School, from 7-9 P.M. Not only a best-selling guidebook author, but also a popular public TV host, Rick Steves is anticipated to teach the audience about how he cherishes every moment with tips and tricks on how save yourself from the financial troubles of traveling and how to make your trips run smoothly. Finally, the last meet and greet held during the week of spring break is with Parisa Akhbari, a former WWU student and current novelistic, representing her debut novel titled, “Just Another Epic Love Poem.” The meet and greet includes a Q&A session and a book signing event at Bellingham Public Library on Saturday, April 6th, from 4-5:30 P.M.

But if books aren’t really your thing, and art is more of your scene, Bellingham also offers a handful of events surrounding music and arts. The earliest is held on Wednesday, April 3rd with “Pamyua” (bum-yo-ah), an Alaskan Inuit soul band who is currently selling tickets to their show at Mount Baker Theatre, which starts at 7:30 P.M. Speaking of Theatre, the Belllingham Theatre Guild is holding open auditions for the play, “Pippin” on Sunday, April 7th, with their site saying from ages “6-600.” “Pippin” is a musical that revolves around a male protagonist who finds happiness in unexpected ways, with the premiere landing on June 14th, and shows going until June 30th. So  be sure to mark your calendars!

No matter what you choose to do, whether it’s in Bellingham or not, the highly anticipated spring break should be put to good use. Just know that if you spend your days in Bellingham, there’s always something for you!