Breaking News!

The Bayhawk Bearer

The Student News Site of Bellingham High School

The Bayhawk Bearer

The Bayhawk Bearer

American Flag at a Low Angle
Memorial Day 2024
June 3, 2024
Battle of the Bands
Battle of the Bands
June 3, 2024
Mother and Child under a Beautiful Sunset
Mother's Day 2024
May 20, 2024
close up photo of bumble bee on pink petaled flower
World Bee Day
May 20, 2024

McMusic Night

Cabaret Night 2023 Features a Wide Menu of Student Performances
Jones Walther
BHS Showstoppers performing to “I’m Still Standing” by Elton John, striking strong poses.

Thursday the 28th of September found masses of people filing into BHS’s PAC to attend Cabaret Night, a talent-show style event for musical performances. The house doors opened at 6:45 pm and people began to immediately take their seats. While not filled to capacity, the PAC was still quite full.

The show began at 7:02 with the student band Slowfall, who kicked it off with some of their original songs. Slowfall has also stated that they plan on releasing two singles soon.

With the crowd warmed up, the rest of the performers could get ready to shine. Cabaret Night featured a total of sixteen performances after Slowfall’s, and the crowd was loving all of them. Some performances garnered a more extreme reaction than others, though. From the Start  by Laufey sung by Cylee Burling; Misty Mountains from The Hobbit sung Alex Strobel, Zebedee McNair-Luxon, and Max Juzynski; and Counting Stars by One Republic sung by Asher Garcia, Elliot Donnellan, and Ari Warrior were three such songs that earned overwhelmingly loud and long applauses.

“That was the best Cabaret Night I have ever been to, and I’ve been to about five or six,” Says performer, Jane Moore.

Some other participants were so well liked by the audience their cheering was elevated a step further. Such could be seen during Giselle Furlan’s performance of You Don’t Own Me by Lesley Gore, where one viewer shouted “I love you Giselle!” from the crowd.

Another notable performance was Laura Porter’s rendition of Besame Mucho by Andrea Bocelli, which, aside from being amazingly sung, was the only non-english song of the night.

At the end came the Showstoppers performing I’m Still Standing by Elton John with an incredible dance choreographed by Atlas Hovdesven. Truly a worthy end to a spectacular night.

Connie Campbell, BHS choir teacher, says that she “was super proud that we had so many freshmen and sophomores singing solos and in small groups,” which is not something students, underclassmen especially, get the opportunity to do often.

“There are a lot of new singers which is what we love to see,” Says performer Abby Ormsby, “They were confident and ready to go and prepared. I thought there was a really cool mix of people and songs.”

Overall, this Cabaret Night was a whopping success; it was well received by both the people on stage and in the audience. Hopefully the next one can live up to it.